Sneak peek: new items! Are you smarter than a fifth grader?
Our item-writing team has been working on a new set of more challenging items to test out this year. Part of the challenge for us has been considering what makes these items hard: considering their frequencies and lengths while designing distractor choices that are plausible but not too plausible! Here's a sample of a few of them that might make their way onto the final assessmennt--how many can you get right?
Meaning Puzzles: which answer choice shares a morpheme with the target word?
Odd Man Out: which of these three does NOT share a morpheme with the other two?
Word Detective: which answer choice best completes the sentence with an explanation of the target word?
- The obedience school teacher informed me that my dog was ineducable. My dog
- Was an excellent student
- Endured a lot of hardship
- Was quite capable of many tricks
- Could not learn properly
- Dieticians are crucial to an effective medical system. A dietician is
- A really effective kind of medicine
- Someone who researches new kinds of surgeries
- Someone who studies what people eat and drink
- A welcoming health care treatment center
- When scientists used the right decontaminant, the environmental project really took off. The scientists used
- The correct procedure to accomplish the job
- The correct safety gear to protect the team
- The correct location device to know where to go
- The correct cleaning materials to clean up